This is a signature dish of punjab and a popular north indian dish on menu of most of restuarants. I used to think its a tough dish to make but then saw it being on a popular TV channel and thought of trying it at home. It came out perfectly well much to my delight. So here is the recipe for dal makhni.
- 300 gms of whole black urad dal
- 100 gms of Rajma ( Preferably use chitra Rajma)
- 75 gms of Chana dal
- 30gms of butter
- 5-10 tps of ghee or clarified butter
- 1-2 green chilles finely chopped
- 6-8 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 tps of ginger which is grated
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato finely chopped
- a bunch of coriander leaves which has been finely chopped
- a pinch of asfatoidea or hing
- 1-2 tps of Red chilly powder
- 1 tps of coriander powder
- 2-3 tps of refined oil
- Salt to taste
Procedure to make the Dal makhni;
- firstly soak the Whole black Urad dal and Rajma separately in water overnight or 6-7 hrs and wash properly atleast 3 times changing water everytime its washed.
- Wash the channa dal also and put all the dals in a pressure cooker. The proportion used should be 3:1:1
- Put the dals in a pressure cooker and add salt, little refined oil, green chilly, 4-5 cloves of garlic finely chopped and a little tumeric and a pinch of hing.
- Now add water to this which is 10% more than quantity of water normally used to cook the dal
- Cook for atleast 6-7 whistles and remove from flame.
- Now in a separate heavy bottomed pan or a kadai heat the ghee and add the remaining the ginger and garlic and green chilly saute for a while.
- Add the onions and also the coriander powder, red chilly powder and fry till Raw smell of onions is gone.
- Now add the tomatoes and fry till soft.
- Now add the cooked dal and keep stiring with a wooden ladle and let it simmer for 15-20 mins.
- Add half the coriander leaves and butter and again allow to simmer for a while.
- Check for taste and add salt as required.
- Serve hot with jeera rice.