Majige huli literally translates in English as buttermilk Sambhar. This lightly spiced no onion.no garlic dish is ideal for children and elders and all those people who are not supposed to eat oily and spicy food. This dish can be made with Raw bananas,Sweet potatoes, Thondekai, Bottle gourd ( Lauki) Potatoes, Magekai( Madras cucumber).This dish is a speciality of Malnad region of Karnataka. Its can also be called a south Indian version of Kadhi.
- 200 grams of cubed Madras Cucumber or any other above mentioned veggie you are using
- 1 cup of thick yogurt
- 1/4 cup of grated/scraped coconut
- 4 tspn of Chana dal
- 1 green chilly or more as per taste
- 2 tspn of grated jaggery or a marble size piece of jaggery or equal amount of sugar
- 1 tspn of urad dal
- Salt as per taste
Procedure to make:-
- Soak chana dal half an hour before making this dish.
- Grind chana dal along with coconut,green chilly and urad dal into a fine paste.
- Boil the cubed madras cucumber and boil it in a cup of water along with a pinch of salt and jaggery till it softens.
- Now add a little more water if necessary and simmer and add the above made paste and mix well.
- Turn off the heat and add the yogurt and mix well and adjust consistency by adding as per preference.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Turn on heat and cook on simmer till it comes to a boil.
- Add curry leaves and turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with plain rice.
Note:- Instead of yogurt you can also use buttermilk.